29 December 2014

Ridge running

We got a white Christmas in Uppsala after all and the past days have been absolutely stunning with snow and temperatures down to - 20°C (- 4°F). The time between Christmas and New Year is a time for reflection – reminiscence of the year past and envisioning of the year to come.  For me 2014 was a great running year with everything focused on Petite Trotte à Léon (PTL) in August. Both the training and planning before the race were great and, even though there of course are things I would change now knowing how the race went, I think I was as prepared as I could be. The race itself was an experience of a lifetime, as I have written in a previous blog post, and I am immensely grateful to have done it together with Otto Elmgart. Otto is still writing a story, in Swedish, about our long voyage around Mont Blanc, and it is very interesting and educating to relive the race through the eyes of a friend and fellow runner. As with Tor des Geants in 2013, there is not a single day when I do not think about the race. The initial nightmares I had of the bad moments have gradually transformed into good dreams about the challenging moments in the beautiful mountains. I recently got the courage to look through the photo material from PTL again. My skills as a photographer are regretfully indeed limited, but I at least attempted to clip together a short movie of ridge running when we after around 48 hours in the race passed the ridge to Pointe de Chaligne above Aosta in the Aosta Valley in Italy and when we the last evening after 120 hours ran along the beautiful ridge of Mont Jolly (see maps below). The runner in front of me in a yellow jacket is Otto. It is moments like those that make nightly runs in mid-winter freezing temperatures so much easier.
 
 
 
The ridge to Pointe de Chaligne

The ridge to Mont Joly
 

No comments:

Post a Comment